Pack Train Carrying Ore

Chapter 9 - Ward's Pass

Ward’s Pass, on the trail south of Bitter Creek, was called after Ward Brightwell, who slashed a trail over the rocky bluffs there, when the river shifted course and wiped out a narrow path that ran between the rocks and the river. The trail was a straight-up-and-down variety with some good handholds in places, and for some was a hard climb for the heavy-laden prospectors, who had to use it. It was known as “Ward’s (Blank! Blank!) Pass.

With the summer of 1904, a considerable number of prospectors arrived in the district and, to meet the growing traffic, a small steam launch, the Rustler, started to ply between Port Simpson and the head of the Canal. This was followed about a year later by the Camosun making regular sailings from Vancouver.

At that time there was no steamer landing, and the Stewart Trading Co. built a floating wharf and anchored it a short distance out in the bay from where the Crawford dock now stands. The wharf was constructed of logs, with a warehouse on it, and served for some years, until it was carried away by a whale, which became entangled in the anchor cables.


Main Links
  • Mining
  • Granduc Mines
  • Stories

Get In Touch
  • Bob Eckess
  • 503 3rd Ave
  • PO Box 665
  • Stewart, BC V0T 1W0
  • eckess@gmail.com

StewartBC.com was built to bring      you, the viewer, a brief look at the early history of Stewart, BC, Canada.